I was lucky enough to get along to the Melbourne Frocktails in January.
I was a little nervous as I hadn't met any of the sewist before, I Instagram-knew a few of them but hadn't ever talked to them eek. But I needn't have worried, everyone was super friendly and made a real effort to include the out-of-towners.
The hubby and I decided to make a weekend of it and drove down to Melbourne on Friday morning. We had a fantastic afternoon and evening wandering around the city, we had Mexican from Fonda for dinner and it was delicious!
Saturday I joined a few sewist headed up by the wonderful Anna (from Blogless Anna) for some fabric shopping around Melbs, We hit a few shops I had been to before and a few I hadn't. It was great to get to know some of the lovely ladies and to buy fabrics from somewhere other than Spotlight!
I was too excited to take any photos but here is one I stole from Anna's Instagram, ekk.
Here is a quick snap of my spoils, I only went $5 over budget, not to shabby considering all the temptations!!
But now to the main event. 2016 Melbourne Frocktails was held at Collins Quarter, we packed out our area with beautiful ladies in magnificent frocks.
So many awesome frocks, I spent my whole evening touching peoples' hems.
These amazing girls organised the whole sha-bang! and they did a fantastic job.
And here is the whole lot of us, I was so inspired by all the sewing talent that I sewed pretty much constantly for the rest of Jan! PS how great are these photos taken by Louisa
Now to my frock, yay! I was wanted to make something sparkly and glam. I was inspired by this Channel dress.
I couldn't find any suitably embellished fabric so I had to do the beading by hand.
Close up of the beading. I glued the big beads on first, they didn't have holes. I think they are intended for scrapbooking but I live in a smallish town and it all I could get.
Somany seed beads.
I made up the dress using my T&T shift dress pattern New look 6983 - for the top part in a silk dupioni. I just made up the bottom kind of draping as I went and it is some kind of chiffon.
The beading was a bit of a labor of love, I did it in 15 minute increments throughout December. It was a great project to have on the go when I was super busy with all the Christmas madness. I just did a little bit each day. I think all-in-all the beading took me 7 hours.